Improving the quality of life of individuals with Down syndrome.

Services for Young Children

When your child is diagnosed with Down syndrome, families have access to a variety of services in the Halton Region. It can be a bit confusing to navigate this system, and so the following information is designed to get you on the right track. Below you'll find some of the important agencies in Halton and when families should contact them. Please don't hestiate to contact us if you would like further information about these services. 


1. Halton Infant and Child Development (Halton Region)

The Infant and Child Development services provide early intervention for children with special needs. Often both a Developmental Consultant and an Occupational Therapist will be assigned to your child to ensure your baby is getting the best start. They will provide a home visit and you will be offered services that will meet your families needs.


When to call: As soon as possible

Phone: 905-825-6000

Explain your situation and request an appointment with the Infant Development Program.


2. Halton Support Services

Halton Support Services will help you get set up with all those forms for grants, government funding, etc.   A representative will come to your home to help figure all this out whenever you’re ready.

When to call: Some time in your child's first year

Phone: 905-844-7864


3. ErinOakKids – Halton Peel Preschool Speech and Language Program (you might hear it referred to as “Hip –Slip”)

This will be the earliest speech assistance that is available. Sessions will focus on strategies to work with the child on communication skills. Parents can phone and refer their own child, or you can get a doctor to refer you. When you phone, be sure you ask for “Hip-slip” – there are two speech programs at Erin Oak and you might be told your child is too young for speech.  Insist on being added to the wait list.

When: By the time child is 6 months or whenever you might have a concern about the child's speech. Your child is eligible before December 15th of his/her JK year. There is generally a waiting list. 

Phone:  905-855-2690, Select intake


4. ErinOakKids

Halton Infant and Child Development will work your child until the child is approximately 2 years of age.  After this, his/her care will be taken over by ErinOakKids for services such as physiotherapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy, etc. Your Infant Development OT or developmental consultant will complete the necessary paperwork for this transfer which takes 90 days.  A doctor’s referral is no longer needed.

When: Around 21 months of age

Phone: 905-855-2690, Select intake


5. Resource Consultants

Resource Consultants work with your child at daycare centres to ensure the staff understand your child's needs and goals. They work for either Community Living or the Halton Region, depending on where your child will attend daycare. You’ll need to get on a wait list for “Preschool Integration Services” a few months before daycare begins. Once you get connected with a developmental consultant, she should be able to help you with this. 

When: Prior to starting daycare


6. Special Needs Play Groups

a)      Stepping Stones: Runs all year long at the Cumberland Early Years Centre on Wednesday mornings from 10:30-11:30 AM; includes a circle time at the end.


Where:  710 Cumberland Ave, Burlington

Phone: 905-632-9377


b)     HDSA Play Groups: We generally hold these drop-in play groups on the first Sunday of the month, about 6 times per year. Keep an eye on our newsletters or calendar for information about these play groups.

Where: Oak Park Neighbourhood Centre, 2200 Sawgrass Drive, Oakville